Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My Dad

Today would have been my dads 66th Birthday. I realized the other day how pictures I had of him, especially later in his life. There are days that I am afraid that I will forget his face or the sound of his voice. I suppose this is what all people feel about someone who dies.

My dad gave me a lot. Even on the day he died, he gave me something: Manhood. Until the moment when I realized that I was never going to see him again, I always knew that I wouldn't have to "go it alone." I would always have someone to take care of me, if I really needed it. I would always have someone there to bail me out of whatever mess I had gotten myself into at that moment. Someone whose sage wisdom I would always follow. At that very moment, I realized all of it was gone, and I had to live life on my own.

I miss you, Pop. There's a lot I wish you could have seen. But I am thankful for the time we had and I will never forget you.

Happy Birthday.

No comments: